Kai Tak Airport
The Kai Tak Airport, located at Kowloon City district, was the first civil airport in Hong Kong. The Airport was in operation from 1920s to 6 July 1998. In 1954, a master plan for development of the Kai Tak Airport, which included land reclamation, construction of a new runway and a passenger terminal, was approved by the Government. Kai Tak then drew the world's attention and became an international airport. For meeting the increasing needs of air traffic, the Kai Tak Airport always conducted series of expansion and improvement projects until the mid 1990s. In 1996, Kai Tak was the third busiest airport in the world in term of international passenger traffic and the first in term of international cargo. The Airport not only functioned as the hub of aviation industry in Hong Kong but also a joyful and sorrowful place where people reunited with or bade goodbye to their family members as well as friends. The following feature content introduces the resources, including photos, maps, annual yearbooks, old HK newspapers, Ex-UC's archives, and audio recordings, selected from the Multimedia Information System to show the development history and changing face of the Kai Tak Airport.
Hong Kong City Hall
Hong Kong City Hall has been the prominent cultural centre in Hong Kong. The old City Hall, which occupied the eastern half of the current site of the HSBC Limited Head Office and the Bank of China Building, was inaugurated in 1869, but its western portion was demolished 1933 and the rest was pulled down in 1947. The new City Hall, located near Edinburgh Place, has been in operation since 1962. City Hall has been the place for a wide variety of art and cultural activities, has gone through the milestones of the development of local culture, and has witnessed the historical moments of Hong Kong over the years. The following feature content introduces the resources, including photos, maps, posters, house programmes, annual yearbooks, Ex-UC's archives, manuscripts, old HK newspapers and audio recordings, selected from the Multimedia Information System to show the history, changing face and past activity information of City Hall for tracing the footprint of the cultural hub.
The Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens
The Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens, located on the northern slope of Victoria Peak, were officially found in 1871 as the Botanic Gardens with the first stage opened to the public in 1864. The keeping of wild animals exhibits started in 1876 and the Gardens were renamed as the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens in 1975. Over the past hundred years, the Gardens have conserved different species of plants and animals, have organized a wide range of educational and recreational activities, and have brought memorable moments to the public. The following feature content introduces the resources, including photos, maps, annual yearbooks, Ex-UC's archives, manuscripts, old HK newspapers and audio recordings, selected from the Multimedia Information System to show the landscape, development history and reminiscence of the Gardens for tracing the story of the oldest public gardens in Hong Kong.